Duterte dismisses two alleged narco generals

Police Chief Supt. Edgardo Tinio and Police Dir. Joel Pagdilao

MANILA — President Rodrigo Duterte has axed two high-ranking Philippine National Police allegedly involved in the drug trade, Malacañang announced on Monday.

Chief Superintendent Edgardo Tinio and Director Joel Pagdilao have been duly dismissed after they were found administratively liable for serious neglect of duty and irregularity in performance.

The decision was signed by Executive Secretary Salvador Medialdea last Thursday.

“Evidence show that both generals have deliberately refused without cause to perform their duties as police officers resulting in the proliferation of drug trade in their areas of jurisdiction, thus the president’s decision,” Presidential Spokesperson Ernesto Albella said.

Albella said he is unaware if the two officials would face criminal charges.

Although the PNP is a civilian organization, the use of equivalent military titles is common and is a remnant of the military nature of the defunct Philippine Constabulary. 

Tinio and Pagdilao were among the five “narco-generals” whom Duterte named in a speech before personnel of the Philippine Air Force July last year. The others linked to illegal drugs are retired police officials Marcelo Garbo Jr., Bernardo Diaz and Vic Loot.

The five denied the allegations.

Pagdilao and Tinio were among the top police officials affected by the major revamp initiated by Director General Ronald dela Rosa, PNP chief.

Pagdilao, the former National Capital Region Police Office chief, was replaced by Director Oscar Albayalde.

Tinio, on the other hand, is the former director of the Quezon City Police District.

The National Police Commission filed formal charges against the two police officials last year.

Tinio is a member of the Philippine Military Academy Class 1985 while Pagdilao and Diaz were classmates in Class 1984.