54% of Filipinos say victims did not fight back

MANILA — More than half of Filipinos believe that many of those killed by law enforcers in the anti-drug campaign were not able to fight back, based on a special Social Weather Stations (SWS) survey results.

Fifty-four percent of Filipinos agree that many of those killed by the police as part of the government’s anti-drug campaign did not fight back, 20 percent disagree, and 25 percent percent were undecided on the matter.

SWS particularly asked 1,200 respondents if they agree or disagree with the statement, “Marami sa mga pinatay ng mga pulis sa kampanya laban sa ilegal na droga ay hindi totoong nanlaban sa pulis. (Many of those killed by the police in the anti-drug campaign did not really fight against the police.)”

The nationwide survey was conducted last June 23-26.

Sixty-three percent of those in Metro Manila believe that many of those killed did not really fight back against the police.

It was slightly lower in the rest of Luzon at 56 percent, and in the Visayas and Mindanao, both at 49 percent.

Among those in the class E or poorest, 58 percent agreed with the statement; 54 percent in class D or the masa; and 40 percent in the upper-to-middle class ABC.

In the survey, almost half or 49 percent of the population believe that many of those killed by the police are not really drug pushers.

The respondents were asked if they agree or disagree with the statement, “Marami sa mga pinatay ng mga pulis sa kampanya laban sa illegal na droga ay hindi naman talaga mga nagtutulak ng droga o drug pusher. (Many of those killed by the police in the anti-drug campaign are not really drug pushers).”

Twenty-seven percent are undecided, and the remaining 23 percent disagree on the issue.

In Metro Manila, 58 percent agree that many who have been killed were not drug pushers, followed by the Visayas at 52 percent, the rest of Luzon at 48 percent, and Mindanao at 45 percent.

Belief in the innocence of those killed by police was lowest among class ABC at 38 percent, followed by class E at 45 percent, then class D at 51 percent.

SWS also noted that false accusations of drug involvement were believed by many Filipinos to be the cause of many police killings.

Filipinos were asked if they agree or disagree with the statement, “Marami ang nagsisinungaling at itinuturo ang kanilang mga personal na kaaway bilang drug user/pusher para mabigyang dahilan na patayin ang mga taong ito ng mga pulis o vigilante. (Many are lying and pointing to their personal enemies as drug users or pushers in order to give an excuse for these people to be killed by police of vigilantes.)”

Fifty percent of Filipinos agree with the statement, with a higher rate of agreement in Metro Manila (63 percent), where most of the killings have occurred, than the rest of the country.

The level of agreement in Mindanao was 51 percent, 42 percent in the Visayas, and 50 percent in the rest of Luzon.