Comelec drops Mikey’s group

MANILA — The Commission on Elections said it had disqualified the party-list group being represented by the son of former President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo and rejected the motion for reconsideration of the disqualified media party -list group Alab ng Mamamahayag.

That brought to 28 the number of registered party-list groups disqualified by the Comelec.
Elections Commission Chairman Sixto Brillantes Jr. said they disqualified Ang Galing Pinoy, a group of tricycle drivers and security guards being represented by Juan Miguel Arroyo, for its failure to appear during the hearings for party-list accreditation.

Commission spokesman James Jimenez said the group’s accreditation was also canceled based on merits.

“It’s not a mere technicality,” Jimenez said.
“We’re resolved it on the merits, that they were not really qualified.”

The Ako Bicol party-list group, meanwhile, on Tuesday questioned before the Supreme Court the legality of the Comelec’s decision disqualifying it for next year’s mid-term elections.

The group, which obtained more than 1.5 million votes in the last elections, asked the high court to reject the Comelec’s decision and reinstate its accreditation as a qualified party-list group. The group was first accredited in 2009, but on Oct. 10 this year the Comelec disqualified it.

In the May 2010 elections, then party-list representatives Satur Ocampo of Bayan Muna and Liza Maza of Gabriela filed a petition against Jose Miguel Arroyo, saying the eldest son of then President Arroyo was not qualified to become a nominee for a party-list group representing tricycle drivers and security guards.

But the Comelec’s second division allowed Arroyo to be a nominee of the Ang Galing Pinoy party-list after he was able to show that he had “actively supported and advanced the projects and programs of the party,” while noting that he had been its member since November 2009.

The Comelec on Tuesday rejected the Alam party-list group’s petition to participate in next year’s elections because it lacked a track record.

Group chairman Jerry Yap said they filed a motion for reconsideration after the commission’s second division, composed of commissioners Lucenito Tagle and Elias Yusoph, denied their petition.

Yap’s group accused the commission of asking for P3 million in exchange for its accreditation, but during a hearing of the case the group cleared Yusoph and Tagle of any wrongdoing on the bribery issue.

The Comelec has rejected more than 30 party- list groups that applied for accreditation to join next year’s elections.